Re: mt3334zdx modem problems

Hello,

I just thought I'd pass on the resolution to my problem in case anyone =
else has a use for the information.
it turned out in my case that the problem was not tty port related at all, =
but due to some odities in the
way the modem responds to commands. Here's an excerpt out of an email I =
sent to Multi-Tech support.

=AF------------------cut
When Hylafax sends nothing to the modem to tell it to hang up things work
fine.
In order to make this happen I had to disable the hangup command in the   =
modem
configuration file (/var/spool/fax/etc/config.tty3) with the following   =
line.
(this is in case you ever have any other customers with the same   =
problem.)

ModemOnHookCmd:         "<waitfor:OTHER>"               # don't send   =
hangup

If you don't put this line in the modem configuration file, the modem   =
will
send
the ATH0 command to the modem which seems to screw things up and make the
modem
reply with the infamous AT+FHNG:2. With the line above though
the modem eventually responds with AT+FHNG:0 which hylafax recognizes as   =
normal
and proper termination of the fax session.
=AF----------------------cut

The trick is to allow Hylafax to configure the modem with the defaults, =
via faxaddmodem, and
then go in and manually edit the config file adding the line above, and =
removing the "&" at the=20
end of the dial command (ATDT...). Once this is done, everything seems to =
work fine for me.
Note that it may be different on your system, but at least this is what =
did the trick in my case.
I suppose a new prototype configureation could be generated for this new =
modem incorporating
these changes, but one would have to be reasonably sure that a whole lot =
of prople were having
this exact problem, and that these fixes worked for everyone.

--Andrew DePaula

(by the way, I run an RS6000 with AIX 4.3.1, hylafax compiled by egcs...)

Andrew Depaula wrote:
>=20
> Greetings:
>=20
> using an older Multi Tech MT28...something something modem (it was one =
of the ones on the list in the docs.) Now I've bought a couple of newer =
modems (MT3334ZDX) which I was hoping to use with the system in more of a =
production environment.
> But I've been having troubles with them. Faxaddmodem seems to configures =
them almost right, I had to modify the dial command slightly. but every =
time I send a fax, it aborts at the very end, despite the fact that the =
pages went through  just fine and were confirmed by the recieving end. =
Here's the tail end of the transcript showing the error:
>=20
> Jul 21 14:57:17.20: [39102]: SEND FAX (00000017): FROM root@PAepic1 TO =
6056 (docq/doc7.ps;30 sent in 0:16)
---------------------------------------------------the offending command!
> Jul 21 14:57:17.46: [39102]: REMOTE HANGUP: Call aborted,  from +FK or =
<CAN> (code 2)
> Jul 21 14:57:17.46: [39102]: --> [2:OK]
> Jul 21 14:57:17.46: [39102]: SESSION END
>=20
> When I looked up the meaning in the man pages here's what I found:
>=20
> REMOTE HANGUP %s (code %s) The modem returned a hangup status
> code "FHNG:2" to the host. This indicates a protocol problem that was =
determined
> within the modem. There is usually nothing the server can do to work =
around such errors.
> -Andrew

I was having exactly the same problem, with the same type of modem.=20
Except I am using Unixware 7.0.1 on a PC.  The problem seemed to be that
I was using the modem on an Equinox SST port.  When I moved the modem to
a COM port, the problem went away.  Every fax ended in a FHNG:2 even
though it was received on the far end okay.  I suspect it was caused by
a flow control and/or an RS232 signal problem on the Equinox port.  I
have not had a chance to look any deeper for the cause.  I am going to
be trying a USR Courier V.Everything modem on the Equinox card to see if
it has the same problem.

Jim Dossey