Re: any chance for using ISDN ?

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 08:41:20AM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> > thanks for your answer. Unfortunally this does not solve
> > my problems. What I'm dreaming of is a solution that
> > eleminates *any* external stuff like modems, ISDN Terminal
> > Adapters and A/B converters. A primary-rate E1/PRI interface
>
> This tends to be the province of professional rack type systems,
> like the ISDN systems used by ISPs to support their dial in
> customers.
>
> > would be ideal, but I could also live with a couple of
> > basic rate S0 interfaces. In so far, I would be interested
> > in the AVM B1 solution. Where can I find more information?
>
> I think you will need to talk to the developer relations
> people at AVM and hope that your business is important enough
> to them for them to spend time with you.

I'm not enough of a low-level coder to do this, but I suspect that
someone could write drivers to sit atop the Natural Microsystems
boards, and provide an AT/serial port interface to the operating
system.

Information pointing in this direction can probably be found at
www.opentelecom.org, a site supporting a project to provide open
drivers and such for the NMS boards (and other manufacturers, as time
progresses -- although Dialogic probably won't be included, as they've
just been bought out by Microsoft).

I'd sincerely like to see this happen; I just ain't found a customer to
pay for the development yet.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592