Re: getty questions

At 10:52 11/05/99 -0400, Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com> wrote:

>[snip]
>Can someone give me an idea what the GettyDefs parameter should be, and
>which getty I should be using?  I've searched the mailing list, FAQ, and
>documentation, but there is nothing that explains how getty should be
>configured.

Hi, Dave

how yer doing?

Matthew Rice, in his Linux installation notes for v4.0pl1, suggested the
following string for the GettyArgs config parameter :-
                         ^^^^^^^^^

"-h %I F%S"

>Outgoing faxes seem to work ok, but incoming faxes make the connection,
>spawn getty from faxgetty, but then never hand off to the hylafax process.

The page in the html documentation to look at is troubleshooting.html, from
which I summarize :

* The modem must not be set to auto answer, because faxgetty is expecting
  to issue ATA after a suitable number of RING's.
* faxgetty behaves like an out-calling program. It must use the device that
  out-calling programs use.
* be sure that the system is not also configured to start getty on the
  modem's tty port.
* beware of misconfigured getty arguments that cause getty to reopen and/or
  initialize the modem device.
* also be careful that on some systems the /etc/ttytab entry for the modem
  port must be setup as a dialup line as opposed to a local line.

>If I have faxgetty in inittab, why is another getty necessary?

Not in the inittab, it definitely isn't.

>Thanks,
>Dave Wreski

Hope this helps,
Phil Watkinson,