Re: Problems receiving faxes (corrupt TIFF files?).

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 12:49:19PM +1100, Tony Langdon wrote:
> I've just installed Hylafax (latest version in RPM format) on a Linux
> system running Red Hat 5.2.  I also installed the latest (v5.10)
> Ghostscript and matching GS fonts.

I'm not sure I can help, but I wanted to make a related point.

This posting is a nominee in the category  "Best Bug Report to a
Specialized Software Mailing List".

It contains all the important stuff:

Class of modem (although not make and model):
> The fax modem is a Class 2 (not 2.0) internal fax modem.

Is the install new, and how did it go:
> Had few problems configuring Hylafax, and everything seemed to be OK.
> The system is configured to print faxes on reception.

What is the problem, in some detail:
> When receiving a fax, the printout has a large blank area at the top of
> the page, and only part of the fax appears.  The rest is missing (it
> doesn't print on the following page).

And, what diagnostic steps have you already taken:
>                                       After trying various options in
> tiff2ps, I examined the received TIFF files with Photoshop 5 under
> Windows 95.  Photoshop revealed that the TIFF files themselves are only
> partial pages, so it seems the problem is occurring somewhere between
> the line and the received fax spool...
>
> I had a look through the session logs, buit these didn't indicate
> anything abnormal, such as a line dropout.  One fax, which was 3 pages
> actually had 3 pages in the received TIFF file, but all of these "pages"
> were only a few cm high!).

Did you already try other resources, and which ones?
> Also looked through the FAQ, but nothing seemed to address this
> particular problem. :-(
>
> Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Hmmm... Does it happen from _any_ fax machine, or just the one you were
using as a test?

He even includes the equipment rundown, including OS release:
> For your info, this is what the system is running:
>
> 486 DX4/100
> 20 MB RAM
> Red Hat Linux 5.2

And even tells us that he's using the RPM(!):
> Hylafax (latest version in RPM format for Red Hat).
> Ghostscript 5.10
> HP4L printer on /dev/lp1 (works correctly for normal printing).
> Class 2 internal faxmodem (unsure of the brand).

My first suggestion, Tony, is: if you haven't tried more than one
sending fax machine, you should.  It would also be useful to know if
the system _sends_ faxes correctly, even if you don't plan to do that
in production.  And, finally, have you tried turning the port speed
down, and trying various handshaking methods?

Let us know.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592