Re: Hylafax error messages

At 11:25 25/02/99 +0100, "Michael Loch" <mloch@anno.de>wrote:

> Hylafax is running on a LINUX 6.0 fron SuSE-Distribution in German,
> I have just a question about an error message:
> after typing "faxstat" at the prompt the displayed message is:
> "Login failed: 550 cannot set privileges"
> What am I doing wrong, or what is missing to set those privileges?
> ( I am logged in as "root" )
>
> I'm  looking forward to Your answer.

The last couple of times this has come up on the list, it has been
people using the SuSE Linux distribution with a hfaxd line in their
/etc/inetd.conf; something like :

hylafax stream  tcp     nowait  fax     /usr/lib/fax/hfaxd    hfaxd -I

The advice from Carsten Hoeger at SuSE is to remove it.

If this fails, then techically, (and I hesitate to mention this) then
there is a serious problem with the chroot or chdir system call.
Matthias can explain it better than I can :

MA>The reason for this reply in Login.c++ is a failing chroot(2)
MA>or chdir(2) call at line ~150 in Login.c++. Check why the hfaxd(1M)
MA>is unable to perform these calls. Maybe it's not started by root
MA>or installed without setuid bit turned on (e.g. mode 4755) or the
MA>root of the spooling area is a symlink to some other place.

mfG,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.