Dialout problems

I am having problems with HylaFax dialing out and I cant for the life of me
track it down.. it used to work and now it doesnt..

I have the following modem:

Mdem manufacturer is "ZyXEL".
Modem model is "U1496E  V 6.15 P".

I am running BSDI 4.0
(HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl0)

Problem #1

I just upgraded BSDI from 3.1 to 4.0 but did not install the HylaFAX that
was on the cdrom

I have tried doing a sendfax blahblah and it accepts it but never seems to
dial the modem and send it..  I know the modem works I used tip tty00
connected to it and dialed one of our local dialup ports and it worked no
problem.  How else can I debug this fax not dialing out?

Problem #2

Also when I run faxaddmodem tty00 I get the following:  it does communicate
with the modem as I see both send and receive lites blinking

Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 OK.
[1]+  Terminated              ( trap 0 1 2 15; while true; do
    sleep 10; echo ""; echo "Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your
modem e
h?";
done )

Jim Hribnak