wedged modem?

Installed HylaFAX on a Redhat Linux system with a Practical Peripherals
PM288MT II V.34 modem early last week.  I can queue FAXs but they don't
get sent out.  faxstat reports "waiting for the modem to become ready."
Syslog gets the following.

FaxGetty[820]: OPEN /dev/cua1
FaxGetty[828]: /dev/cua1: Can not initialize modem.
FaxGetty[828]: Unable to setup modem on /dev/cua1; giving up after 2
atttempts
FaxQueuer[376]: MODEM /dev/cua1 appears to be wedged
FaxQueuer[376]" MODEM WEDGED: bin/wedged "cua1" "/dev/cua1"
FaxGetty[828]: CLOSE /dev/cua1

The brand of modem was not my idea.  I have to prove I can get this thing
working before they'll let ne buy something else.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks,
Bob Perschau
Sr Unix Administrator