faxmailgateway with faxmail nogo

Hi there,

I've got a little problem with the faxmail program from Hylafax. I want
to use it for mail-to-fax service but haven't been succesful in getting
it to work yet. I can use the faxmail prog. from the commandprompt like
this (as superuser or 'normal' user:

$ faxmail -d 1234567890 emile@procomp.net <<Here
> From: Emile
> To: Someone else
> Subject: Testfax
>
> first line of body
> second line of body
> Here

And a message will be sent to the fax at 1234567890. But if I try to do
the same with sendmail it will not work. I've changed the faxmailer
definition for sendmail a little like this:

Mfax,  P=/usr/bin/faxmail, F=DFMhu, S=14, R=24, M=100000,
T=X-Phone/X-FAX/X-Unix,
       A=faxmail -d $h $f

This will start the faxmail program like I did from the command prompt
(I've checked that in the sendmail logs), but if send an email to the
address I intended for the faxservice I get a message back:

Your facsimile job to 1234567890 was not sent because document
conversion
to facsimile failed.  The output from the converter program was:
Could not reopen converted document to verify format
Check any PostScript documents for non-standard fonts and invalid
constructs.

In the logs I find a similar message: FaxQueuer .... CONVERT DOCUMENT:
Could not reopen converted document to verify format

Guess there's something wrong with the shell environment, but I can't
exactly pinpoint the problem (actually, it's driving me nuts).

Anybody any suggestions?
FYI: system is Linux RedHat 5.1 with hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5 (rpm) and
sendmail 8.8.7

thanks in advance
E-mile