Re: linux.apps.flexfax newsgroup?

> How come no one seems to post to this?  Everyone seems to use the
> mailing list.  Is it not a generally available newsgroup?  Just seems
> like the newsgroup has certain advantages (more topic-threading clients,
> for one), but maybe that's just my hangup.

Most questions on the list relate to modems, not one specific operating
system.  Those that are specific to Linux are generally about Red Hat
binary ports, not about the general use of the software on Linux.
(Early linux documents I've read point out that most applications
are not linux specific and help should be sought from the platform
independent support channels.)

The list predates linux.*.

Most if not all of the people who answer probably have never heard of
the newsgroup.

The primary author of hylafax works for a company that is effectively
in competition with Linux (I've not heard of SGI ports) and, as far as
I know, the primary maintainer is not a Linux user.

I doubt that there would be enough people interested for the creation
of a comp group, so the reasons for the minimum vote apply, namely that
you are likely to get poor propagation.  Also minority groups these days
tend to get taken over by off topic and "shot gun"++ posters; the group
then fills up with flames.

Mailing lists are more spam resistant.

It may well be bogus; a lot of sites create on useage rather than only
on control messages.

The application is called hylafax; flexfax was an old name which caused
a trade mark conflict.

++ shot gun posting is my term for people who can't be bothered to work
out the right group so cross post to a dozen or so, for most of which and,
often, all of which, the posting is wildly off topic.