faxgetty inittab weirdness

Hi

I manged to hack away to get my USRV34  SPORTSTER going again on send and
receive - reason why it stopped working was I fiddled with the /etc/inittab
entry.  Once fixed again and working with a command line
/usr/sbin/faxgetty /dev/cua0
I tried to get the inittab to work with the entry

mo:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty /dev/cua1
then
telinit q

This threw the thing again - would not dial complaining about "incorrect
dialling command.  But I fiddled with _nothing_ else in the config.cua0

Got the thing working again by restarting all processes and powercycling
the modem.

Any ideas why it dont like my inittab?

TIA
--