ZyXEL 2864 modems - now recommended?

Hi, ZyXEL modem users

I am attempting to update the html documentation concerning modem
information, and I would like your advice on ZyXEL 2834 series. I
intend to submit the update to matthias and to the www.hylafax.org
website.

The ZyXEL U-1496e+ is already recommended for use by HylaFAX, the
Elite 2864 and 2864I has no recommendation. Comments in the mailing
list over the last couple of years suggest that both these models
suffer particularly from the RTN syndrome (ie will send the first
page 3 times, then abort). It was of interest that on 19 Dec 1998
Alex<hylafax@astra.sif.it> announced that the 2.99i development
firmware for the 2864I had a specific fix for this problem.

1. Has anyone a URL to download this latest firmware?

2. Alex said it made an improvement in both send and receive; anyone
   else have similar results?

3. Would you say:
   a. The 2864 and 2864I models are no better than the average modem
      and therefore cannot be a recommended modem?

   b. they would be be recommended if fitted with the 2.99i firmware?

   c. they can be recommended whether they have the new firmware or not?

Your comments would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.