Re: admin password?

[ Re-wrapping to internet mail standards...]

> i want to add remote users.i have experimented with users in the
> (/spool)/fax/etc -hosts file with zero joy.
> question 1:- are the field separator's full colons or pipes? does this
> matter ??

That should be obvious by inspection of the samples and machine readable
man pages; they are colons.

> question 2:- setting an admin password???
> i have tried a host file to the form
> machinename:userid:passwd:admin passwd with various field separators
> without succees

This is not what the man page says.  It says: client:uid:passwd:adminwd
and goes on to define the nature of client.  In particular, uid is a
numeric ID, only of significance to Hylafax.

Are you aware that the password fields are the passwords scrambled using
the Unix crypt library routine.  For most *nix systems, this is the same
as the password in /etc/passwd, but some systems append password aging
control data, and some recent Linux distributions allow multiple
algorithms for the password field.  I believe there are details of how
to cope with the latter within the last month on this list.