Re: SysV configuration patch

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Robert Colquhoun wrote:

> Believe me - you cannot do this automatically every system does this
> slighty differently
>
> ie for HP-UX it is /sbin/init.d and /sbin/rc*.d and the scripts range in
> value from 0 to 1000
> ie S905hylafax K095hylafax, HP also put rules about what numbers the
> scripts are allowed to be you are *not* allowed to include one as say
> S095hylafax for instance as that number range has been reserved by HP.

Not only that, but HP-UX runs the S* scripts for each level in order
[1..n] when bringing the system up, and runs the K* scripts for each level
in reverse order [n-1..0] to shut down.  Which forces each level to be a
superset of the previous one.  (I don't think any other unixes do this.)
The proper places are probably /sbin/rc4.d/S905hylafax and
/sbin/rc3.d/K095hylafax.  That's not a typo; they go in different
directories.

Furthermore, HP-UX invokes the script as "S905hylafax start_msg" and
"K095hylafax stop_msg" expecting it to output strings which should be
displayed on its startup and shutdown screens.  For example:

case $1 in
start_msg)
        echo "Start hylafax server"
        ;;
stop_msg)
        echo "Stop hylafax server"
        ;;
start)
	# start the daemons...
	;;
stop)
	# stop the daemons...
	;;
*)
        echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
        ;;
esac

> Also as always it is quite possible the sysadmin has further customised
> this, making it all but unrecognizable to an outsider/configure script to
> make sense of.

So I'll forgive you if you don't try to support HP's weird way of doing
things. :)

~ John Williams

p.s. hylafax runs as a client only on my HPs because their serial ports
suck too.