Re: SysV configuration patch

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Tim Rice wrote:

> A good start, but a couple of problems.
> Your patch appears to substitute /etc/init.d, /etc/rc0.d, & /etc/rc2.d
> with the Linux /etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc/rc.d/rc0.d, & /etc/rc.d/rc2.d

Yeah, it did. I take it this is not correct for some operating systems?

> Somewhere configure needs to test for ethier /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d
> How about testing and assigning it to DIR_SYSVINIT_BASE with the default
> being DIR_SYSVINIT_BASE=/etc (don't want to break existing systems)

Fair enough: I'll try to do this.

> Then you would have something like (lines folded for readability)
>   if [ "$SYSVINIT" = auto ]; then
>     if test -d $SYSVINIT_BASE_DIR/init.d -a -d $SYSVINIT_BASE_DIR/rc0.d -a -d
> $SYSVINIT_BASE_DIR/rc0.d; then
>         SYSVINIT=yes
>         Note "Looks like a SysV-style init is used, enabling installation of
> startup code."
>
> That should work for existing SysV machines and for Linux.

Which would be great, if that's all I was aiming for: unfortunately,
I'd also like to use this technique to have a start-up script for
other operating systems, such as SunOS. Rather than getting extremely
clever about figuring out if there is an $SYSVINIT_BASE_DIR with an
init.d, I'd prefer to use the init.d in a $SYSVINITDIR and have the
other links added only if ../rc0.d and ../rc2.d exist.

Moreover, the use of the init locations is somewhat problematic: while
rc0.d and rc2.d are apparently correct for Solaris, for Linux you want
to use rc0.d, rc1.d and rc6.d for K80hylafax, and rc2.d, rc3.d,
rc4.d, and rc5.d for S80hylafax.

> While we are addressing the SysV init scripts, I've allways had a problem
> 	/etc/init.d/hylafax
> 	/etc/rc0.d/K80fax
> 	/etc/rc2.d/S80fax
> I would much prefer
> 	/etc/init.d/hylafax
> 	/etc/rc0.d/K80hylafax
> 	/etc/rc2.d/S80hylafax
> Anyone have objections to this one?

No objections. I'll see what I can do....

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu