replacing an exchange fax server

[ Warning: could be considered not strictly
  hylafax related ]

Hi,

I'm helping someone to replace an NT box with
a RedHat system, and we're satisfied that we can
get Linux to do everything that his current dying
Small Business Server can, with the exception of
fax services.

His users work almost entirely from Outlook 98,
and send faxes by mailing word documents as
attachments to email addresses which look like
'[fax:NUMBER]'

It seems that Outlook then sends the document
through to Exchange with hands it to the fax service
for rendering and faxing.

I was wondering if anyone had done something like
this before; I suspect that it could be done quite
simply with some VBA at the client side, but he
doesn't want to have to alter the clients and
especially his users way of working.

Ideally, there would be a Linux word->tiff renderer
available, but I suspect that to be a pipe-dream.

Has anyone done anything similar, or found written
a Hylafax exchange-a-like plugin for Outlook?

Cheers,
Matthew.