"cannot open user access file /etc/hosts"

I´m using SUSE Linux 5.1 and the HylaFAX suite coming with it.

I installed the hylafax package, ran faxsetup and faxaddmodem.

Then, if I calles faxstat, the reply was:

Login failed: 550 Cannot set privileges.

The owner of the file /etc/hosts in /var/spool/fax was uucp, so I
changed it to fax. The mode of the file is 600. Now I get the message

Login failed: 530 User root access denied.

In /var/spool/messages there appear the lines:

Unable to open the user access file /etc/hosts: Permission denied
HylaFAX LOGIN REFUSED (user denied) FROM localhost [127.0.0.1], root

If I try to set the mode of /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts to 666, then the
server refuses, because the mode isn´t 600. SO I think, the server
uses the right file.  I didn´t change anything in the config-files.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl.Ing. Susanne Schütz