Re: german umlouds

Torsten Mueller wrote:

> Hello!
> I am running Hylafax version 4.0 pl2. I installed a mail->fax gateway
> , using sendmail.
> If anyone sends a mail with german umlouds like ä (ae), ö (oe) or ü
> (ue) , i only get blank characters in my fax instead of the umlouds
> (don`t know if umlouds is the correct english word ford for it)
> Does anyone have a solution for this, or a script to change the
> umlouds like ä to ae before converting to a fax and sending with
> hylafax ?
>
> Greetings Torsten

We had the same problem using SCO 3.2.4.2 here.

When using "sendfax -n -d12345 <file>" and there exist any "umloud" in
<file>, sendfax returns an error "cannot determine filetype".

When we print/fax from our Informix-Application using EPSON or LASERJET
ESC-Sequences, we use an epson2ps or laserjet2ps converter.
So when "cat <file> | epson2ps | sendfax -n -d12345", sendfax does not
return any error, but german "umlouds" nevertheless are not transmitted
correctly via modem to a nearby faxmachine.

In the SCO distibution, there is a util called "unix2dos" which
translates these "umlouds" correctly, so "cat <file> | unix2dos |
epson2ps | sendfax -n -d12345" works pretty well!

Perhaps you´ve got some of these utils on your unix system too, this
worked for me so far and I do not matter why it works ;)

best regards, so far
hope this may help a little bit

Jürgen Anzer

--
snail: 	ANZER GmbH - Pieperstr. 14 - 32791 Lage - Germany
email: 	rick_@t-online.de