Re: Do not understand the hosts file

At 15:27 23/09/98 -0700, Ted Sudtell <tsudtell@northtech.net> wrote:
>[snip]
>Could somone please show me the entry in the hosts file for SAM?
>I have read the man pages, th docs. Guess Im just getting too old.
>I have ---
>localhost
>127.0.0.1
>192.168.0.6
>192.168.0.2
>^sam@northtech\.net$:::
>^.*@.*.\.northtech\.
>
>I cannot log on from anywhere as anyone.

You have obviously found the file /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts. The
command 'man 5 hosts' will tell all about this file - and if you
understand a word of it you're a better person than me.

Using an example from the man page, the following should work:
	.*northtech\.net$

which will allow any users in the northtech.net domain. The grep
man page has basic info about regular expressions.

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.