failure: "pager job could not be completed before appointed deadline"

Hi all,

I've got a HylaFAX server running at a customers site to handle alpha-paging
(no faxing yet).  I've been tweaking it for a while now trying to wring out
the last of the issues they have.  The details:  hylafax-v4.0pl1 built
locally with the Sun compiler, Sun SPARC 20, Solaris 2.5.1, MultiTech
MT2834BR modems connect to a Digi PortServer-II via RealPort drivers.

The specific problem du jour is that some pages are failing and returning
the following via email:

	Your pager job to 9,4046564342 could not be completed before the appointed
deadline.

	    ---- Unsent job status ----

	Destination         	: 9,4046564342
	JobID               	: 11136
	GroupID             	: 11136
	Sender              	: Nobody
	Mailaddr            	: nobody@netra.atms.dot.state.ga.us
	Submitted From      	: localhost
	Status              	:   (nothing available)
	Dialogs             	: 0 (exchanges with remote device)
	Dials               	: 0 (consecutive failed calls to destination)
	Calls               	: 0 (total phone calls placed)

Where does the deadline come from?  This time the "Dialogs", "Dials", and
"Calls" are all zero and I can't find a file in "logs" for "JOBID 11136".
Sometimes the numbers are non-zero and I can find a log file.  It invariably
indicates a BUSY signal detected or an invalid pager ID.  Every failed page,
however, results in a "could not be completed before deadline" type of
result.

Anyone else getting these errors?  This system is being used to notify state
DOT personnel of traffic incidents so the messages are _required_ to go
through.  My ultimate goal is to have this thing retry forever if the paging
central is busy or the load is high.  99% of the messages go to the same
paging central.  Most of the time there are 6-10 recipients (PINs) specified
for the same message.  There should not be an "appointed deadline".  How?

Thanks in advance,

--Paul

Paul Dugas, Systems Engineer
GTC Systems, Atlanta, GA, USA
pdugas@inetnow.net 770-926-4737

Attachment Converted: "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EUDORA\Attach\Paul Dugas1.vcf"