Re: FaxQCleaner & faxaddmodem complaining ...

In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.980323220319.6344A-100000@troll>, "nick s." writes:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Nico Garcia wrote:
>
> > > Mar 23 10:00:00 rain FaxQCleaner[4004]: The fax server must run with real
>  uid root.
> >
> > I think you've got it installed suid root, instead of real uid root.
> >
> > > installed in /opt/local/fax/lib using pkgadd:
> > > -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     other     505740 Dec  9  1996 hfaxd
>
> I've already tried changing permissions without any success ... but I just
> tried again ... changed hfaxd to real uid root:
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     505740 Dec  9  1996 hfaxd

I have:

bash-2.00# ls -l /opt/local/fax/lib/hfaxd

-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root      522616 Nov  6 08:55 /opt/local/fax/lib/hfaxd

I'm not sure why your gid is "other" pkgadd should set the gid when
installing.

> stopped the server (using /etc/init.d/hylafax), restarted the
> server, and I _still_ experience the same error message as above.
>
> Are there other permissions I'm missing?  This is running straight from
> the pkgadd install ... I assume it's running fine for others?

Check these permissions:

bash-2.00# ls -l /opt/local/fax/lib/faxgetty
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      503144 Nov  6 08:54 /opt/local/fax/lib/faxgetty
bash-2.00# ls -l /var/spool/fax/bin/faxq
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      401824 Nov  6 08:54 /var/spool/fax/bin/faxq

These things should get started by "root".  They then will change to
the "fax" user. Do a "ps", they be running as "uucp", or "fax".  You
should have an entry of "fax" in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow that is
the same as "uucp".

Are you running faxgetty?  If not, you should.  It makes life so much
easier.

> > You're fine. I'd worry about using /dev/cua/a instead of /dev/tty*/*,
> > since Sun and other UNIX systems have this strange "split-device
> > trick" that HylaFAX does *NOT* work with.
>
> According to INSTALL-sparc-sunos5.5-v4.0pl1:
>
> /dev/term/a vs. /dev/cua/a
> --------------------------
>
> I use the "cua" devices for everything.  You may find programs like
> probemodem and faxaddmodem will hang when trying to probe the modem
> if you use the "term" devices.  The "term" devices are basically
> for running a getty with sac.  The open will block until Carrier Detect
> is asserted.  Hylafax does not use this mechanism.  Hylafax has its
> own interlocking mechanism and will cooperate with outbound calls
> that obey uucp locking conventions.  See the on-line documentation
> under "Choosing a TTY Device" and the zs(7) man page for details.
>
> -snip-
>
> thanks for the info!

See my last mail.

Tom Szybist