Re: "FIS answer timeout" *or* "No response to MPS or EOP" errors for USR Courier v34d

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Nico Garcia wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Gildas Perrot wrote:
>
> > I am using hylafax v4.0pl1 on a BSD/OS 2.1 system with a USR Courier v34 Fax
> > connected to it.
> >
> > At the beginning, I was using Class2.0 but I had problem after FIS emission as
> > shown below :
>
> In general, you might try Class 1 on modern modems. Class 2.0 modems
> have a long history of various problems.

I've been laboring under the impression that Class 1 communication
requires very tightly controlled timing of the communication between the
computer and the modem that may not work properly if the machine gets
loaded for some reason or the serial drivers are uncooperative.

Specifically, I've had great luck with Class 2.0 under USR modems, except
for the somewhat cryptic response "DCS sent 3 times without response" for
a small percentage of transmissions.  I'm still looking for pointers as to
what this really means.

David.