Re: Passwd problem

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Nico Garcia wrote:

> Sam? Matthias? Is there a strong security reason for the hosts file
> for HylaFAX to be 600? Enough people have had difficulty
> with this that I wonder if the permissions should be, say, 644?

Well, I'm neither Sam nor Matthias; but I think that since the admin
password would then be viewable, it could be subjected to standard
password cracking programs (hence the popularity of root-read-only
/etc/shadow on most systems nowadays).

Cheers.
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz> |     When all else fails, RTFM