Re: Mail Gateway

At 17:57 03/12/1997 -0800, Hugh Caley  wrote:
>I am attempting to set up a mail gateway to hylafax; I have added the
>lines recommended by the faxmail README file to sendmail.cf, i.e.:
>
>R$+<@$+.FAX>            $#fax $@ $2 $: $1            user@host.FAX
>
>to Ruleset 0 and the mailer
>
>Mfax,                P=/usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax, F=DFMShu, M=100000,
>                        A=mailfax $u $h $f
>
>but whenever I send mail to user@host.FAX (example: root@92671000.FAX) I
>get:
>
>"550 root@9261000.FAX... Host unknown (Name server: 92671000.fax: host
>not found)".
>
>This would seem to indicate a problem with the rewriting of the address,
>but I don't see any particular problem there.  Can anyone help me?

This is, unfortunately, a typical problem; due to two reasons :

	1. Manual editing of sendmail.cf
	2. Incorrect mailfax.sh-sendmail in v4.0pl1

You may be okay with the changes you've made to sendmail.cf; the first
thing to try is a new mailfax script - try mine :

#! /bin/sh
#
#  mailfax - email to fax gateway for sendmail
#
#  This file should be installed as /usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax
#
/usr/local/bin/faxmail -v -n -p 11 \
        -Ml=0.75in,t=2.00in -d "$1@$2" "$3" 2>>/var/log/faxlog

Altho' the script is owned by root/root; it has 555 permissions. I also
orginally had problems getting it running - it turned out to be the
permissions on the faxlog file - increasing them to 666 did the trick.

Give that a go. If you still having trouble, the next thing to sort is
the sendmail.cf file. If you are running RedHat Linux ( looking forward
to getting my hands on v5.0) you need to be in the directory :

	/usr/lib/sendmail-cf/cf/

If this directory doesn't exist, install the sendmail-cf rpm from your
original disk (mayaswell get the sendmail-docs one while you're there)

The default macro file is called 'redhat.mc'. Copy this to a new file,
perhaps 'lombard.mc' in your case and add to the end of the file

	MAILER(fax)

Regenerate the sendmail.cf file with the command

	m4 lombard.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

(Damn, forgot to backup the original sendmail.cf file first.) The idea
being that the 10 or so lines of the macro file is easier to maintain
than 1000 lines of sendmail.cf.

Against my better judgement and ignoring for a moment that this mailing
list exists for HylaFAX, not sendmail questions, here is my mc file:

	divert(0)
	include(`../m4/cf.m4')
	VERSIONID(`derrick.mc for elgro.co.uk 14-Aug-97')
	OSTYPE(`linux')
	FEATURE(nocanonify)
	FEATURE(redirect)
	FEATURE(use_cw_file)
	define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')
	define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE', `True')
	define(SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS, e)
	define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:post.demon.co.uk')
	undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')
	undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')
	MASQUERADE_AS(elgro.co.uk)
	MAILER(local)
	MAILER(smtp)
	MAILER(fax)

It had been asked for in a previous thread on the same subject; but
depending if you have a local LAN with a dialup connection to an ISP
your mileage may vary with its usefulness :)

>Hugh Caley
>System Administrator | Babcock & Brown, SF
>hughc@babcockbrown.com | 415-512-1515 x 694

Aren't you a British heavy engineering/shipbuilding company? I didn't
know they were any left.

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.