Re: Re: Fax != uucp

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:43:32 -0500 (EST), Nico Garcia <raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>

> > This is such a good idea! It will definitely solve the confusion
> > involved with installation, and the stubborness of some O/S's to allow
> > entries with the same uids.
> >
> > A quick squizz thru' the source code reveals that it shouldn't really
> > be a problem (I'll try this in practise for a week on our system); in
> > fact "config.h" has the line:
> >
> > 	#define  FAX_USER        "uucp"  /* account name of the ``fax user'' */
> >
> > What do the others think?
>
> This needs to operate on systems where uucp does and does not already
> exist. UUCP requires its own home directory: if the fax servers rely
> on the fax home directory to be distinct, this could cause serious
> grief.
>
> I'd have to take a look at the chroot behavior of hfaxd and faxq to
> see if it could tolerate using the same home directory as UUCP. Has
> anyone double checked this?

Haven't tried it yet, but looking at the source, it uses
#define FAX_SPOOLDIR    "/var/spool/fax"        /* pathname to top of spooling area */

In config.h, and the they chdir to begin, then chroot(".").

In my quick search pwd->pw_dir is only used in client apps, in which case it is using the client's home directory.

I would think it should work, but I like to have a fax user, so I can do "ls ~fax/docq" types of things ;-)

Aidan.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                       aidan@magma.ca
Magma Communications Ltd.           Home Page:  http://www.magma.ca