Re: Need help on Linux

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de wrote:

> Martin Tanzer wrote:
>
>     Hi, I am trying to set up Hylafax  4.0p11 on two Linux boxes  (as root)
>     with the same result: access denied. I searched in the list and did
>     everything I found posted:
>
>     The fax and the uucp have the same UID,  the same group (uucp), even the
>     same password. The /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts belongs to uucp and has the
>     correct mode (600). When I start hfaxd I get the message in the message
>     file : HylaFAX INET: bind (port 4559): Address already in use, unable to
>     init server.
>
> Check with netstat(1) if there is a LISTEN for this port
> and if so try to find out which daemon (inetd(1M)?) is
> listening on port 4559. If you have a line for this service
> in your file inetd.conf(4F) check the parameters against
> the man page of hfaxd(1M). If you use startup from inetd.conf(4F)
> you must use the flag "-I" and not "-i hylafax".
>
>     When I kill faxd and faxq I still have no access to the ports with
>     faxstat -v or telnet localhost 4559.
>
> There is no faxd(1M) in HylaFAX v4.0pl1 (and if you have faxd you
> have a mix of versions on your system) and faxq(1M) has nothing
> to do with the port 4559.
>
>     I've seen that Linix and Hylafax is a bit tricky - I hope you can help.
>     I spent lots of hours with this stuff.
>
> No. Not Linux && HylaFAX are tricky. I get more and more the feeling
> (esp. since I've had a look onto the Linux of my son) that Linux
> comes with some (faulty) HylaFAX or FlexFAX or mgetty+sendfax
> installations or preparations and also some bugs/problems in the
> binary packages provided by the CD-ROM supplier. Just remove
> everything from your system which smells like "fax" (also from
> the sysem files like passwd(4F) and inetd.conf(4F), pull the
> source (v4.0pl1), configure, make and install from scratch
> (and run faxsetup(1M) :-)).

Let me point to our Support Database, espacially for Martin Tanzer.

The following URL should help german reading users -this articles will be
available at our American site www.suse.com, soon-:

http://www.suse.de/Support/sdb/choeger_hylafax-problems.html

Mr. Tanzer didn't read /usr/doc/packages/hylafax/README.SuSE, that says:

[...]
During the execution of `faxsetup` you have to answer the question:

        Should an entry be added to /etc/inetd.conf [no]?

with no because we start HylaFAX(tm) standalone via init-script.
[...]

So he has an entry in /etc/inetd.conf, wich should be removed.

mfG,
	Carsten Hoeger
------
Carsten Hoeger  - S.u.S.E. GmbH -  Gebhardtstr. 2  -  90762 Fuerth  -  Germany
fax +49-911-3206727      web http://www.suse.de        mailbox +49-911-3247122
"Ein Buch ist eine Wolke, auf der man keinen Husten bekommt." (Max Goldt)