Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de wrote:

> Eddie Reed wrote:
>

>     > That "hosts" file should be 0600, uucp owned and uucp group owned.
>     > You could try starting with the hosts file that comes with the
>     > distribution, and seeing if *that* works correctly. Also: how are
>
> To clarify: HylaFAX's file host(4F) should be owned by user "fax"
> which must have the same uid as "uucp". It should also have
> mode 0600 (BTW: all these details are really explained in the
> man page of HylaFAX's host(4F)).

HylaFAX's host file on my system is owned by uucp (both user and group)
and it WILL not let me change it to "fax"  Users fax and uucp both hve
the same uid, and the hosts file DOES have perms 0600.

> Trying 127.0.0.1 ...
> 220 thias server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl2beta) ready.
> user guru
> 230 User guru logged in.
> quit
> 221 Goodbye.

It lets me log in as user "anything"!

> If the hfaxd(1M) daemon asks for a pw than one reason could be
> that it does not use "127.0.0.1" (local loopback) for the incoming
> client connection. You may check this also simple by running
> a telnet to the port of the hfaxd(1M) and check from another
> terminal/session with netstat(1) which interface is used for this
> connection, e.g. run
> $ netstat -an | grep 4559

 tcp        0      0  *.4559                 *.*                    LISTEN

this is all I get when running this command

> (assuming the "hylafax" port is 4559)

yes!

> Why do you comment it out? It should work fine (and works for
> me fine) from inetd.conf(4F) and also from boot-time script.

edited both inetd.conf and /etc/rc to start hfaxd with the parameter -I
rather than the default listed in /etc/rc (-i -s -o)

> Does your system create a new inetd.conf(4F) file from some
> "master file" while booting (some UNIXes are doing such nice things,
> e.g. also for the file inittab(4F) -- check your manual of
> inetd.conf(4F), inetd(1M) or init(1M) for information about this).

No, the file is the same after each reboot, because it keeps any changes I
made before reboot.

> No. This would not solve your problem (hfaxd(1M) is running
> and that's fine).

Yes, but the /var/log/messages file shows several errors:

When I keep the hfaxd startup parameter in the inetd.conf, I get an error
"hylafax tcp/ip port 4559 already in use"

When I try to start it manually (commenting the startup parameter in the
inetd.conf) I get the error "non-socket operation on socket", and it won't
start up.

> This line is only used if hfaxd(1M) uses the "127.0.0.1"
> interface for the client connection. See above. The "5" is
> also total unrelated to your problem (asking for pw); check
> the manual of hosts(4F) for the real purpose of this
> parameter.

I started out with a complete new hosts file and made sure there's no
trailing spaces.

> As said allready, the user "fax" must have the same uid as "uucp"
> and not 5 or 6 or some other value. Just check your passwd(4F)
> file for these users. I *may* be 6 (if "uucp" is 6).

What about the daily insecurity output file: