Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

> That "hosts" file should be 0600, uucp owned and uucp group owned.
> You could try starting with the hosts file that comes with the
> distribution, and seeing if *that* works correctly. Also: how are

No, already tried:  still asks me for a password.

> you starting hfaxd, starting it with a script at boot time, using
> inetd, or what?

Yes with inetd by way of the default faxsetup script, but then I comment
it out.

> Do you have only one faxq running and only one hfaxd,
> either left running as a boot-time daemon or initiated by inetd?

yes, 1 each

> Faxstat and "telnet localhost 4559" are better tools to see if your
> hfaxd is up and running: they don't have to do as many complicated
> things, and don't leave failed print jobs in the queue....

 faxstat wants a password too...

> *HUH*. This is screwball. OK, definitely take it out of inetd.conf.
> Reboot, and see if it is in fact running with a "ps" command.

Right: I take it out and it comes back at boottime!

> Then take a look at your boot time initialization scripts. Under
> Linux, they live in /etc/rc.d/various sub-directories, and see if
> they have anything implanted there by your original installation
> to start up the hfaxd.

It starts in rc and is a default set by BSDI.  The script reads that if
/var/spool/fax/etc/config exists, to start faxq and hfaxd with the
parameter -i, start hylafax -o, start oldfax and start snnp.
It further states that out-only should be run from rc.local, but there is
no entry in rc.local.

Before I 'doctor' up some of these files, should I comment the rc section
relating to hfaxd and then just start it up manually with the -i parameter
once the system has rebooted?

Still not clear though what all that has to do with the password prompt it
insists on giving me.  Another user suggested to insert the following into
the $SPOOL/etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1:5::

to allow anyone to send a fax without a password prompt.  I figured the
other user assumed my user "fax" to be uid "5", while I have it set at the
default "6" as suggested by the mailing list keeper.

Regards
eddie