Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Nico Garcia wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Eddie Reed wrote:
>
> > Yup, I darn killed it. And then erased all configuration files created
> > during install, then reinstalled hylafax from the distribution.
> > Ran faxsetup, ran faxmodem, back to abnormal:
> >
> > Can't use sendfax from command prompt without a password.
>
> OK. This is a separate problem, methinks. Did you re-run faxsetup?
> Does "faxstat" work? Is your $SPOOL/etc/hosts file for HylaFAX
> permissions set up correctly, which may be the problem?

Yes, I re-ran faxsetup about 5 times, before I decided to reinstall
hylafax from the BSDI 3.0 distribution.  What ARE the permissions supposed
to be for the $SPOOL/etc/hosts file?  I have it set for 0600, both user
and group ownership is "uucp".  One other flexfax subscriber emailed me
and told me that I have to be sure not to have any trailing spaces,

> > The strange thing is that I had this working with the very first install!!
> > What threw me off is that snnp takes the same port as stronghold.  So I
> > reinstalled hylafax without the snnp and moved stronghold to another port.
>
> Oof!. That's a potetntial problem for the rest of us: thanks for the
> heads up. Is 444 the default port for stronghold?

443 is the SSL port and 444 is the default for the admin portion of
stronghold.  The stronghold tech suggested to move the admin into a
different port, I set it for 446 in the httpd.conf file and then was able
to start stronghold without any problems.
I commented out the snnp port in /etc/services because I don't need it at
this time.

> > When I look at the dir with the faxes that went out previously, they
> > report as being sent as "nobody@myhostname.com".  Which tells me there is
> > some kind of permissions problem here with some of the dirs and files
> > owned by "fax".
>
> Umm. No. hfaxd sits on the port 4559, and answers requests for service
> from the sendfax or faxstat command.. They correspond, the user's name
> gets associated by hfaxd with the service request (using permissions
> in the hosts file to verify their authority to send faxes) and an
> email address gets generated from that data (as I understand it). The
> data gets fed to the hfaxd by sendfax, and it handles the fax job.  No
> ownership or file permissions involved there.

Everytime Ireboot the system, I get an error "socket operation on
non-socket" and hylafax won't always start.  I tried commenting it out of
the /etc/inetd.conf file and start if by hand, but for some reason, when I
reboot, the hfaxd starts up anyway on its own, giving me that error that
it can't bind to port 4559.

There must be something that I am overlooking.

Regards
Eddie