Received Fax question

Hi folks,

I'm using a MultiTech Systems MultiModem, MT2834ZPX.
The config file was built using faxaddmodem without
straying from the defaults.  However, when viewing incoming
text faxes (which were sent as Postscript files) with
Ghostscript (using either fax2ps or fax2tiff), the images
looked distorted ("smudged" is an apropos term).  I edited
the modem config file setting ModemRate down to 9600 and it
looked much better.  I also tried leaving ModemRate at 38400
and set ModemFlowControl to xonxoff instead of rtscts and it
also looked fine.

Is this an appropriate workaround?  Or have I created potential
new problems?

"Modem related stuff" included below.  Note that the top
of the config file said that configuration was for
"MT1432, MT224BA, and MT1932ZDX modems."  Are there important
changes that should be made for a MT2834ZPX?

Thanks!

Kevin Tyle
MESO, Inc.

#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:		Class2		# use class 2 interface
ModemRate:		38400		# lock rate for DCE-DTE communication
#ModemFlowControl:	rtscts		# default
ModemFlowControl:	xonxoff		# default
#
ModemHardFlowCmd:	AT&E4		# hardware flow control
ModemSoftFlowCmd:	AT&E5		# software flow control
ModemSetupDTRCmd:	AT&D3		# setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd:	AT&C1		# setup so DCD reflects carrier (or not)
ModemSetupAACmd:	AT+FAA=1	# enable adaptive-answer in class 2
#
# NB: some models get confused by the @
#
ModemDialCmd:		ATDT%s@		# T for tone dialing, @ for silence
#
Class2RecvDataTrigger:	"\022"		# character sent to modem to start recv