Re: Hylafax rpm issues

  +> My second question would be..., are you willing to support it yourself
  +> for the next eternity?

  DW> Are you actually a linux user?  Everyone knows the package maintainer
  DW> is simply the package maintainer, not the content.

I must agree with Steve here, Ramana has set the precedent of deviating from
traditional HylaFAX build conventions, even to the point of renaming one
of the scripts. In effect, he has become the content maintainer. There's
no telling where this will lead. As a RedHat Linux user (before you start
trying to drag me through the mud), I'm concerned that the 'official' RPM
will be different enough from the rest of the packages that it will not be
possible for us to support newbies who speak up in this forum.

Changes such as renaming xferstats should be addressed in this forum, and
changed in the master distribution, if justified.

I support much of what Ramana has done. In particular, sticking to RPM
tradition and wishing to be included in the next RedHat release are
admirable ambitions, and will do much to further the cause of us HylaFAX
evangelists. However, I do feel he's being a bit reactionary in making
sweeping changes based on minimal discussion.

-DPN

--
Mr. Arlington Hewes           (tpcadmin@info.tpc.int)
The TPC.INT Subdomain          (http://www.tpc.int/)

       ***  FOR GENERAL INFORMATION                   ***
       ***         Mail to tpcfaq@info.tpc.int        ***
       ***  FOR A LIST OF CURRENT COVERAGE            ***
       ***         Mail to tpccover@info.tpc.int      ***