Re: Announcement: RPMs for hylafax and libgr

Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de writes:

 > [ BTW: It's a good idea to send also the MD5 checksums for your
 > binary distribution so that folks can check what they transfered. ]

Sure. Would check into it.

 > HylaFAX (please note the spelling of the name) is a free

I have no problem sticking to the spelling. The source code on ftp.sgi.com
says hylafax-v4.0pl1.tar.gz. Is it possible for you to change its
name, because I have to refer to the original URL in RPM spec file.

 > The HylaFAX source and all other binary distributions come with
 > a lot of tools to make the configuration part of the installation
 > as easy as possible. These tools (e.g. faxsetup(1M)) check your
 > system and (not only but also) the installed HylaFAX software
 > for "is it ready to use?". They let you create needed files or information
 > (e.g. entries in /etc/services) and so on. faxaddmodem(1M)
 > will *test* your modem and try to find and build a config file
 > for it. A modem which causes problems during faxaddmodem(1M)
 > will perhaps not work together with HylaFAX. Creating modem
 > config files by hand is possible but needs much more experience
 > with HylaFAX and the modems as one needs for using faxaddmodem(1M).

I'll follow up with a mail on the 'faxaddmodem' issue.

 >     There is already a linux binary at SGI's site. An rpm for hylafax was
 >     built using this binary by Matthew Rice before.  Some of you who tried
 >     to install the rpm might have experienced problems running
 >     'faxsetup'. This is because the rpm doesn't have all the files.  Also,
 >
 > This is definitely not a good idea, I think, sorry.
 >
 > 	matthias

I meant the old rpm that was built by Matthew Rice didn't have all the
files. That was also one of the reasons I decided to build a new RPM.

Ramana