Re: postscript attachments show up at 5% size

Louis REINARD <lrei@ictlux.com> wrote:

>[snip some very clear and useful analytical work]
>Also, this explains why the "double attachments" described by
>Ben Parker work. The first attachment gets scaled down because
>of the reason descibed above. This first attachment supposedly
>ends with `showpage' and `end restore' which put the effect of
>`.05 dup scale' to an end, and then his second attachment gets
>faxed OK.
>
>I have manually moved those last five lines so that they precede
>the start `%!' of the converter-script output and then the fax
>just looks fine.
>
>As it appears to me, the problem is situated in faxmail or the
>TextFmt routines used by faxmail. Due to my lack of c/c++
>programming skills, I have not been able to hack the source
>to get this solved.

Good news. We seem to be on the trail of this common bug. My
thought that it was something to do with the faxmail prologue
file was obviously a complete miss.

Which is a bit of a shame, since I was hoping that if the solution
lay within the prologue file, then it would be easy to enhance
faxmail to provide an user defined header on the fax.

Can I give you an example ?

With a prologue file such as the following ( borrowed freely from
faxcover.ps ) :

%       $Id: faxmail.c++,v 1.56 1996/07/02 19:49:58 sam Exp sam
%
% faxmail prologue.
%
/inch {72 mul} def
/userheader {
gsave
  4.4 inch 10.2 inch moveto
  /Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont 23 scalefont setfont
  (Elgro Limited) show
  4.42 inch 9.95 inch moveto
  /Helvetica-Bold findfont 14 scalefont setfont
  (Boston, UK) show
grestore
} def

And then fiddling about with the faxmail generated postscript file to
call the 'userheader' macro - after where the prologue file is inserted,
but *before* the infamous '0.5 dup scale' line :

[snip, snip, start of ps file ]
                        <-----this is where prologue file is inserted
%%EndProlog
%%Page: "1" 1
userheader              <-----this is where user defined macro is called
save $printdict begin
.05 dup scale
[snip, snip, rest of ps file]

Then the result is a rather nice heading on the top right of the fax. So,
while someone is hacking faxmail or textfmt, could this facility be added
as well??

In my enthusiasm, I started looking through TextFmt.c++, but all I could
see was data structures, definitions and whatnot  -  couldn't find any
code that actually *did* anything. Clever stuff this c++, and well
beyond me.

Sorry for the long post,

Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.