modem appears to be wedged

I just upgraded from Hylafax-3xx to 4.0p11. Running BSD/OS 2.1.
Modem is an old att-dataport 14.4.

Before the upgrade, I had one line (tty00) configured as bidir with rotary.

Incoming calls smoothly switched between data and fax. Outgoing faxes
worked fine. This line not really used for outging data.

After upgrade:

1. I get lots of "modem wedged" messages.
2. Outgoing faxes work fine
3. Outgoing pages work fine
4. Incoming faxes sort of work.
5. Incoming data never seems to connect.
6. After bad incoming try, modems doesn't answer the incoming ring for
   several minutes.

Any clues or pointers? I did RTFM.

Thanks
Lou Katz