Re: FW: HOWTO: Get Hylofax and Ghostscript to work together

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Steven E. Frazier wrote:

>   First, incoming faxes are being stored as a tiff file.  We are using
> samba to map the fax receive area to a windows share where we are trying to
> view them.  Paint shop pro says that it's not a valid tiff file.  So...

It's tiffg3. Since Hylafax was written by Sam Leffler, who invented TIFF,
he gets to call it TIFF as well.

Under Win95, there is a freeware program available called, I believe,
acdsee. Under UNIX, take a look at ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/contrib/
and get the viewfax package.

I've modified my "facrcvd" script under my local installation to name
the received files "*.fax" instead of "*.tif", for better web access.
You can alternately use the "fax2ps" script to turn them to Postscript,
or the "tiffcp" program in the tiff package you installed.

>   1) What viewer could I use to see/read/print the fax?  Presume that we
> don't have X running on the linux box.
>   2) What utilities exist to convert this file into a gif, jpeg or HP
> format file ?
> (the last resort being to just print it on his HP printer).

Overall conversion can be done with the ImageMagick "convert" utility,
but I do not recommend it. Use "tiffcp" first to turn it into distinct
TIFF files, one per page, and *then* convert them to whatever.

>   Next item,  we can't send outgoing faxes because Ghostscript doesn't like
> the fonts that are being requested.   Aparently, the Hylofax package wants
> to know the outline bitmaps by names other than Linux has them.  For
> instance, in our /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts directory, it wants to see a
> file "Courer-BOLD' and we have file names that look like serial numbers.
> The text to fax utility dies saying that 'it can't obtain font metrics for
> 'Courier-BOLD'.  You may fill in the blank for the font name; I can't get
> it to work using any name.

You need the afm fonts. Take a look at the
ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/source/, and make sure you don't already
have them installed someplace odd (which can be set at configuration
time or in the config.site file for HylaFAX).

>   1)  Should I rename or add a symlink to make the names be what Hylofax
> wants to see or...
>
>   2) Am I missing something more basic than that?

See above.

>   Third,  we can get the program to do an alpha page, but it fails to work
> with numeric only pagers.  I know my description of this problem is scanty,
> but I presume that only someone who has set up Hylofax would be able to
> answer it anyway.

Can't help you there.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL