Re: sendpage and apache on Linux

> I am working on a simple sendpage/web gateway.  From the command line, a
> simple C program such as:
>
>    execl("/usr/local/bin/sendpage","sendpage.web", "-q",
> "-ptony","hello...testing",NULL);
> }

I don't know why you are using C; a simple shell wrapper should work,
something like:

    #! /bin/sh
    echo "Status: 200 OK"            # strictly should be pending not OK code
                                     # but I don't have the HTTP spec to hand
    echo "Content-Type: text/html"
    echo
    echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Tony's Page Request Acceptance Page</TITLE>"
    echo "</HEAD><BODY><H1>Page Accepted</H1>Your page request has be queued"
    echo "for transmission.</BODY></HTML>"
    exec /usr/local/bin/sendpage -q -ptony "hello...testing" > /dev/null
               # sendpage command not verified

You could use text/plain and return the actual response from sendpage. To
include it in HTML, you will need to bracket it in <PRE></PRE> and  translate
& < > and possibly " into entities (e.g. use sed).

You might want to look at the cgiparse utility that comes with the CERN
server.

> However, if I put the execl line into a C program and run as a cgi on a web
> server, it bombs with a server error.

A valid CGI program must output at least "Location: url" or "Content-Type:
xxx/yyy" followed by a blank line.  "Status: 204 No output" ought also
to be OK, again followed by a blank line.

> I can only assume that perhaps the output of sendpage (lots of texts) is
> the problem since the return value exec* is expecting is an int.  I don't

The output from sendpage is on standard output, or possibly standard error.
It ALSO returns an int return code.

Note that the above is telling you the requirements for a CGI script - it
is possible that sendpage has other requirements on its environment.