Weird faxcover problem (not FAQ #36)

I read FAQ #36 & generated a fax cover sheet for hylafax.  The sheet itself
works fine, and the variables generally go in their places.  However, I
have one of those "strange" problems.

I'm using the same font throughout the the form.

The template prints fine, everything's in its place

In the variable fields, certain but not all, capitol letters are dropped.
I've looked at the ps document, and the data is getting to it, but not
comming out on the fax.  Ghostscript doesn't show the letters either.
These same letters print fine in the template.

I'm using gs ver 5.03
              hylafax ver 4.0pl1

any ideas?

thanx