Re: Hylafax future (SAMBA)

> | Fortunately, Samba is fairly easy. And it's considerably more secure
> | than the standard Microsoft based servers, based on my discussions
> | with network security consultants. I mean, keeping people's passwords
> | on line in a readable format is not my idea of wise....
>
> Fully seconded. Those who have never used Samba will probably have some
> hesitation looking at yet another package for the first time. But it's
> far more simple than setting up Hylafax, for example. And it seems to
> work out of the box for almost all Unix flavours, and provides
> unparalleled robustness at the client end.
>
> Shuvam

hey all,

Ive watched the discussion on the windows client / printing thing .. and
am pretty much against using samba to achieve this ...

Mainly becuase if you want to install HylaFAX its pretty much .. make sure
you have gs installed plus the fonts and go for it .. pretty straight forward.

Now while the addition of a samba server seems straight forward, its like
adding *another* full package to the system .. ie. not a helper package.
Adding samba and the configuration that goes along with it is like setting
up another hylafax server ... it has its own problems, compatibility or
otherwise and more importantly .. Hylfax would rely heavily on Samba for
this particular functionality ... If something changes in Samba .. and breaks
HylaFAX then there not much you can do other than change HylaFAX ...

While the other road of making the dll's or wotever talk to hylafax properly
is the more difficult solution .. I think its the way to go with this type
of problem if it is implemented with HylaFAX...

Just some food for thought ..

--
ninja@hutch.com.au
Anthony Green

Hutchison Internet					Level 1, 40 Pacific Highway
Technical Sales Consultant				St Leonards NSW 2065
Hutchison Telecommunications (Australia) Limited	Phone: +61-2-99644888
Telecommunications from Hutchison Whampoa Limited	Fax:   +61-2-99644848