USR dialing problems

Hi,

> Aug 29 13:36:08 zeus FaxSend[10080]: MODEM  Product type
> US/Canada External Options  HST,V32bis,Terbo,VFC,V34+ Fax Options
> Class 1/Class 2.0 Clock Freq  20.16Mhz Eprom                  256k Ram
> 32k/Supervisor date  09/20/96 DSP date 07/29/96 Supervisor rev 6.5.4
> DSP rev 1.3.3
[...]
> Aug 29 13:42:31 zeus FaxSend[10240]: SEND FAILED: Invalid dialing command
> Does anybody know what is going on ?

We are experiencing exactly the same problems with a USR Courier modem.
Are these problems you are experiencing persistent or transient? Over here,
they occur transiently; it usually works, but ever so often the modem
seems to get confused somehow, refusing to dial out. The problems will
disappear as soon as the modem is turned off and on again. What happens
when you talk to the modem using cu or minicom and try to dial out?
Try something like "ATE1Q0Dxxxx" and see what happens. When our modem
gets confused, it will always respond with "ERROR". Obviously the
problem is not caused by Hylafax, but rather by a bug in the modem firmware.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Any ideas on what might be
at fault?

Our firmware revision is:
Aug 29 16:13:19 faxgate FaxSend[3616]: MODEM USROBOTICS COURIER HST DUAL STANDARD V.34 FAX Product type           Germany External MSK Options                HST,V32bis,Terbo,V.FC,V.34 Fax Options            Class 1/Class 2.0 Clock Freq             20.16Mhz Eprom                  256k Ram                    32k/Supervisor date        12/16/94 DSP date               12/02/94 Supervisor rev         049-6.0 DSP rev                11.3

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
	Lukas.

--
lukas wunner         unix, internetworking and security engineer
lukas@wunner.de      LW26-RIPE      http://www.wunner.de/~lukas/