Notify failed

On my HylaFAX server the bin/notify script sometimes crashes.
When i check this manually, i can see that the notify.awk script works
normally, i.e. it generates the message which is to be sent as an email.
When I pipe this output into /usr/lib/sendmail - as the script does,
I get the following error:
[ No such file or directory ] sub-directory 'q.smtp' missing

My fax server runs HylaFAX v4.0p1 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.2.
The mail system used is "mmdf" and not "sendmail", although there is
a /usr/lib/sendmail command which works properly in most cases.
The email address which caused the crash is a valid address with
the host name explicitly specified (name@host.domain.com)

Thanks for any hints

--
Alexandre Meissonnier