login error using sendfax

HylaFAX-v4.0pl1 under Linux2.0.  When I enter sendfax -d number file a
password prompt appears.  hitting a return informs me that the login
failed: 500 invalid password.  I am running this off of the system and
have only 127.0.0.1 in the /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts file. adding
127.0.0.1::: does not help.  adding various versions of system entries
as indicated by the html files does not help.  In the /etc/passwd file
the password for fax is NULL and the passwd for uucp is *.  Any
suggestions?