Re: format files

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Bill Campbell wrote:
> >a little question remains - how to have the unix computer take an incoming
> >mail, extract the ms-word attachment, and print it on the windows
> >computer?
>
> This would take a bit of work with procmail or deliver to set up the
> appropriate metamail stuff to extract the file from a mail message.  We
as far as i'm concerned, that's the easy part.  my goal is for people
halfway around the world even, to be able to send ascii or ms-word email
to a recipient, where the result is faxed to them.  the idea is to make
the whole process invisible to the user, they just write a quick note and
email it, or attach the quarterly newsletter; resulting in a fax being
received by the fax machine of the email account holder.  in doing this,
the word document must be converted to postscript.  how to do this in a
completely automated way is what i'm trying to figure out now.

> directly from the Windows machine.  We normally do all printing from the
> Unix side as it's much more efficient than doing it from windows.  When we
in a standard office situation, this makes sense.  in my case, it's all
done with no intervention or supervision. (and word document capable)

> We don't want to hit the Windows machines for big print jobs because it
> slows them down too much.
hehe.. you should see a macintosh trying to print.

> Why would you want word to print the document?  Are you saying that
ideally, there would be a unix program to convert word to postscript, but
i see no other way than to have the windows box handle it.