Re: Hylafax and PPP?

> > would provide an option to autodetect ppp frames but instead of
> > running pppd, do a PAP password exchange to authenticate a shell login
> > and then start the 'slirp' slip/ppp emulator as that user.  The advantage
>
> You can't do PAP until you've completed the LCP negotiation.
> I think a better approach would be to add PAP (or better CHAP) to slirp,
> assuming that it doesn't do it already.

Hmmm, slirp started with basically the whole pppd program moved to user
space so perhaps it is already there or could be put back easily. Normally
you only run it after logging in so it probably doesn't have any
concept of setting your user id though.  Can't LCP be re-negotiated
so the initial exchange could run as far as the password check, switch
to the right uid, then force a renegotiation as it execs slirp?
Also, doesn't CHAP require keeping a clear-text copy of the password
in a file somewhere?  I'm not at all convinced that is a good idea.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com