Problems getting a Courier to work

I am using a USR courier that is in a MP-8 modem bank, the modem works
fine with any comunication program and it will fax with hylafax once in a
while but I usually get these errors.

Jul  1 16:15:06 is6 FaxSend[15142]: /dev/ttyqf: Can not open modem (I/O error)
Jul  1 16:15:13 is6 FaxSend[15142]: /dev/ttyqf: Can not initialize modem.

I am also getting the I/O error when I try to add another modem, any
ideas?