Re: Problems setting up USRobotics SportserFlash Modem

On 04-Jun-97 raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu wrote:

>Dr. Vigna, did you use the binary distribution of HylaFAX for Linux or
>did you compile it yourself? Be aware that different versions of Linux
>have different ideas of where lock files go and whether they are
>binary or ASCII representations of the PID of the locking program:
>this may cause some conflict with other software.
>
>Also, various people have strongly recommended using /dev/ttyS1 rather
>than /dev/cua1 for various reasons.
>
>Last: is there a symbolic link '/dev/modem' pointing to /dev/ttyS1?
>This will just do the wrong things with the lock files, and you may
>wish to delete it and configure any software that uses it to use
>/dev/ttyS1 instead.

Thanks for your prompt answer :-)

I did compile the HylaFAX-package myself and set the Lock-directories
and lock files in the right way (I'm quite sure of this as I did the
same with HylaFAX-v3.0pl1).

I did use /dev/ttyS1 and /dev/cua1, but failed with both, and I do
not have any link /dev/modem.

So I'm sorry but the problem has to be somewhere else, but unfortunately
I do not know where :-(

Greets Juergen

P.S.: Please CC the answer to my EMail, thanks

Dr. Juergen Vigna                     E-Mail: jug@sad.it
Gerbergasse 60                        Tel:    +39-471-450260
I-39100 Bozen                         Fax:    +39-471-970042
ITALY

Aphorism, n.:
        A concise, clever statement.
Afterism, n.:
        A concise, clever statement you don't think of until too late.
                -- James Alexander Thom