ok, try again

Could some kind soul who is running faxgetty (on all incoming/outgoing modems)
please send me their hylafax config files / setup so I can compare with my own?
(Again Linux 2.0.29 i586 using HylaFax 4.0pl1).

I believe what I need is:
  /var/spool/fax/etc/{config,config.*}
  /usr/local/lib/fax/faxd.conf
  `grep faxgetty /etc/inetd.conf`
  `egrep "faxq\|hfaxd" /etc/*/hylafax`
  `grep fax /etc/services`

 .. and anything else you might think I might have setup incorrectly ..

ALL I need to do is incoming/outgoing faxes w/incoming data.  I read in the docs
that faxgetty is the way to do this.  Yet somehow once faxgetty is run, nothing
faxq is unable to send faxes.  I KNOW I am missing something.

I have removed the software completely and re-installed and re-compiled about
3 times now.  I am very familiar with installing it.
  $ tar xvzf hylafax*gz
  $ cd hylafax*p1 ; ./configure ; make ; make install
  $ cd /usr/local/sbin ; ./faxsetup
    (during which allow it to do faxaddmodem but not faxmodem!)
  $ add faxgetty to /etc/inittab and change runlevels for it to take effect
    (I alternate between 2 and 3 which in debian do the same thing)
  $ sendfax -d 7654321 test.ps
  ....and watch the logs showing
  '.. FaxSend[xxx]: /dev/<device>: Can not open modem (Device or resource busy)'
So I kill -TERM <pid of faxgetty>
and the outbound process opens the modem before the next faxgetty is spawned by
inetd, so it gets one fax sent, then is after that unable to send future fax
requests because faxgetty locks the modem device.

Hence my request for others configs.  This is the only way I know how to
determine what I am doing wrong.  Others (as I gather from reading the list)
DO have outbound faxes working on the same modem faxgetty is managing.  I
would be elated to do the same.

--
Todd T. Fries .. toddf@acm.org

PS don't worry about large messages .. send 'm on through!