Re: HylaFAX v4.0pl1 with USR Courier V.Everything

Hi Neal:

> I had this problem and spent a weekend tracing it down to my /etc/hosts
> file had the wrong perms.  I was able to do a lookup in the hosts file,
> so it went to DNS, where it was defined.

   Thanks for the message. What exactly was the problem with the
/etc/hosts file?  I found that the problem was a little more complicated
that that.  Linux boxes do not have DNS running by default.  They do not
have a network defined either. You basically do not need it.  HylaFAX,
however, needs a "network" and an IP number in order to run the FAX
daemon.

   I ended up defining a "dummy" network and a "fake" IP number for my
localhost, so that I was able to run the daemon and all the other
programs.

   I had the same problem with 'rplay'. I don't understand the usefulness
of having a daemon running instead of a simple process for standalone
machines. These programs seem to be designed for more demanding tasks.

   Anyway, let me know if you are referring to a different problem.

   Thanks,

	Gabriel