Re: AW: faxgetty - dial in data - Linux

Matthew Rice wrote:

    > On my machine (Linux 1.2.13, Hylafax 3pl1) a combination of faxgetty/agetty
    > works just fine. I have the following getty args in my config.ttyS0:
    >
    >     GettyArgs:              "-mt60 %s %l"

    I am using the RPM getty_ps-2.0.7h-3 on a RedHat 4.0 distribution.
    The Linux kernel is version 2.0.18.  And I'm using /dev/cua1.

    I have HylaFAX 4.0pl1 running with:
    GettyArgs:              "-h %l F%s"

    And the entry in /etc/gettydefs:
    F38400# B38400 CS8 # B38400 SANE -ISTRIP HUPCL #@S login: #F38400

    > The only problem is that this solution does not support automatic ppp.

    What do you mean by "automatic" ppp?  If you mean locking the modem
    so that they can share then you just have to configure pppd to create a
    lock file (use the "lock" option).  And configure HylaFAX to use the
    same locking method (usually /var/lock/... w/ an ASCII lock file).

Some getty's (e.g. Gert's mgetty) have support for automatic
detection of PPP packets if the incoming peer do not want to
login but want to use PPP with PAP or CHAP authentication.

It would be nice if the faxgetty(1M) of HylaFAX also has
this feature. But I can't see any portable way to look
into the file descriptor which kind of data is coming in
(a PPP packet or a carrige return from a human user)
and pass this data to the PPP daemon or to a normal getty/ttymon.

So this feature must be part of the getty started from
faxgetty(1M) and not of faxgetty(1M) itself.

	matthias