Re: Exabyte 8200 and backups

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Lindsay Castle wrote:

> I have an Exabyte 8200 tape drive on my RH 4.1 (upgraded from 4.0)
> system, I made a little script to copy each file system as follows:
>
> cd /
> find . -xdev -name -print | cpio -ocv | dd of=/dev/st0 bs=32k
> find etc -xdev -name -print....
>
> and so on for all my filesystems, problem I have is that the tape drive
> rewinds after each filesystem, is there a way to stop that on these drives?
> Unfortunately I don't have the documentation for the drive so not sure if
> it is possible or not.

Use the nstX devices - these are non-rewinding ones.

Robert Hart                             hartr@interweft.com.au
Voice: +61 (0)3 9735 3586		http://www.interweft.com.au/
InterWeft, 35 Summit Road, Lilydale, Victoria 3140, Australia
        IT, data and voice networking
        Strategic IT business planning
        Internet planning, implementation, security and configuration