Re: hfaxd doesn't run on my linux

Dear Dirk:

> When the installation script started hfaxd and each time I try to start
> it manually, hfaxd dies almost instantly with
>
> Feb  7 13:40:55 localhost HylaFAX[338]: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket

   One suggestion is what Matthias suggested. You cannot run hfaxd alone
without any parameters. You have to specify what type of port (service)
you are going to use. Usually, you would use port 4559 (hylafax) which is
defined in /etc/services at the very end. Or, at least, should be if your
installation process went fine.

> My machine is standalone, with an occasional SLIP-connection, in case that
> matters.

   This actually matters. HylaFAX assumes you have a network installed.
That's why you run a daemon and then the client applications send requests
to it to execute operations. This is actually more than a standalone
machine would need, but you will have to bear with it.

   If you're running the original Linux installation, then you are not
activating the network as it is. You have to add an entry in the routing
table that tells IP that it may use the localhost interface as a route to
destination 127.0.0.1. Just type

	route add 127.0.0.1

and try ping localhost. It should work without any error messages. After
this the HylaFAX daemon should run finally. Add this entry in
/etc/rc.d/inet1.rc to make the change permanent.

   If you want to have your own mini-network. You could assign a name
and IP with

	127.0.0.2 mymachine

in /etc/hosts, configure a dummy network and add a route to it with

	ifconfig dummy mymachine
	route add mymachine

it in /etc/rc.d/inet1.rc. Then, you could do things such as

	ping mymachine; telnet mymachine; ftp machine;

That's the configuration I am using to fake a network to the programs who
need it.

   Good luck,

	Gabriel

---
Gabriel Fernandez		Wavelets rule!
Computer Science Department	Wavelets are cool!
University of South Carolina	Wavelets smooth your life!
Columbia, SC 29208		Wavelets transform your dimensions!

E-mail: fernande@cs.sc.edu	URL: http://www.cs.sc.edu/~fernande/